Sunday, March 25, 2012

日本健康のレッスン一 (Japanese Health Lesson One)

日本健康のレッスン一

Sorry for the laps in my posts everyone. I have been dealing with a terrible cold that has been traveling amongst all my friends and family, but I am back to my normal self now. It is this that brings me to today’s topic… being sick in Japan.


West vs. East

Here in the west we tend to leave it up to everyone else we encounter on a daily basis to protect themselves from us and our germs. If we are sick we may take some precautions such as using tissues, but seriously how often do you see that. In Japan, and much of the east for that matter, it is reversed. It is up to the person who is currently sick to protect others from their sickness. In reality this is a better method for the sole fact that it can be difficult to tell who you meet is sick or was that just a normal cough and sneeze.


 Masks on trains

One iconic symbol that I am sure most people have seen of Japan is the rail system. Often you might spot someone riding the train that has a face mask, or surgical mask, on. Nine chances out of ten they are sick and are wearing said mask to protect other passengers. They might be a salary man dressed in a full suit, a little old lady heading out to shop, or a girl in uniform heading to school but no matter their walk of life they are looking out for other people. This trend is so prevalent that companies have created designer masks that younger people tend to buy. These masks are designed to be washable and reusable. You could have a different mask for different outfits if you wanted to.





If I was in Japan I might not have gotten sick or passed it around to my family. So keep in mind the health of other people and maybe when next you are sick wear a mask for others. So until next time…
じゃね。

No comments:

Post a Comment